If you want more detailed advice on, for example, types of pronouns or how to build well-formed sentences, browse through the headings below and explore the different sections:
Learn more about the building blocks that make up speech and writing.
Straightforward advice on some of the trickier points of English grammar.
Spelling matters. If you want to create a good impression in your writing and make sure you get your meaning across clearly, it’s important to get your spelling right.
This section contains lots of quick-reference spelling tips. For example, if you can never remember whether the plural of potato is spelled potatoes or potatos, then you can jump straight to Plurals of nouns to get some straightforward advice. There’s also a handy list of Common misspellings, arranged in alphabetical order of the incorrect spellings, and a guide to the differences between British and American spelling.
If you already feel confident in your spelling skills, why not try our spelling challenge?
For more ways to improve your writing see our Better Writing section, or for more spelling tips see the list below
- Plurals of nouns
- i before e except after c
- Words containing the letter q
- Comparative and superlative adjectives
- Forming adverbs
- Adding -ful or -fully
- -ize, -ise, or -yse?
- Adding endings to words that end in -our
- Adding endings to words that end in -y
- Adding endings to words that end in a double ‘l’
- Verb tenses: adding -ed and -ing
- Using capital letters
- Common misspellings
- British and American spelling
- What words in the English language contain two u’s in a row?
- Spelling rules and tips
- Words ending in -able or -ible
- Nouns ending in -acy and -asy
- Words ending in -ance and -ence
- Words ending in -ancy and -ency
- Words ending in -ant and -ent
- Words ending in -ary, -ory, and -ery
- Words ending in -efy and -ify
- Words ending in -ious and -eous
- Words ending in -sion, -tion, and -cion
- fore- or for-?
Słownik języka angielskiego, gramatyka, ciekawostki na jednej stronie:
Słownik Oxford online
Sprawdż znaczenie i wymowę słów:
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary"